Sunday 6 November 2011

I wanted to work bigger in terms of scale so I set out writing large sentences across rows of A1 sheets. Before this I had experimented with poster paint. The paint did give me lots of tonal range and lines as a result of the brush strokes. However, I didn't like the result;






Instead of choosing ink or paint I opted to work with compressed charcoal worked into with a putty rubber, for an added sense of movement and motion. I wrote each sentence first with charcoal and then worked over them with the putty rubber. I repeated this process until the page could no longer be written on;


[I apologize, the quality is appalling, but it's a photograph of a photograph on my phone]



Ending up with over thirty of these sheets, I decided to cover my box of a bedroom with text;







I then arranged these photographs into one big picture in my sketchbook;


I then hung these sheets up in my studio one night. However I felt they had much less impact in the bigger space;






I took some pictures of the lines on a zoom to try and capture the varying movement and motion. I like the different tones too that resulted;






I next decided to flip these pages upside down and go again!
I rewrote over to produce these;








No comments:

Post a Comment