Thursday 12 April 2012

Partial Pleat

A partial pleat is one that opens below the top of the fabric with underfold layering removed above the release points. There are two types of partial pleats;

1. Extension Pleats - knife or box pleats formed by sewing specially designed pleat sections together; inverted pleats formed by sewing underlays between specially designed pleat sections. Above the release points, pleat folds continue as seems.

2. Set-In Pleats - inserts of knife, box or inverted pleats stitched inside a segment removed from the lower part of the fabric.


I'm not sure I understand exactly just what a partial pleat is; it remains nebulous even with the definition. My own understanding of the term is that it means a piece of fabric only partially pleated. But that is a guess.


To me these pieces from the Spring 2007 Collection by Ruffian poccess what I perceive to be partial pleats;



No comments:

Post a Comment